Friday, March 5, 2010

Three weeks later, I'm feeling fairly settled in at Saltzman.  I'm enjoying getting to know the students, and I enjoy being a mentor for their martial arts journey.  It's also been fun seeing the students from my first tenure at Saltzman who are still there.  They have really helped me feel welcome.

Last weekend, I was telling my wife that I was a little bummed to be missing the belt tests at West Union.  I feel like I have a stake in the students' success at the tests.  Some of them struggle so much just to get ready for the test.  I want to be there to watch them and offer whatever support I can.  Imagine my surprise when, on Monday, Master Kim told me I was coming back to West Union to work at the belt tests.  He likes the way I do the post-test announcements (promoting the summer camps, the annual trip to Korea, new class schedules for newly promoted students, etc).  Saturday I'm back at Saltzman to work that belt test.  So many of the West Union students let me know that they missed me.  I miss them, too.  No matter how frustrating The Job can be, the people are my family.

As far as my training goes, I have been practicing forms on a regular basis.  Still have two more to learn; that shouldn't be a problem.  Between DVDs and YouTube I'll get them.  The nunchuck patterns will be harder.  There isn't any recorded material on them, so I'm just going to have to find some time when I can take up master Jung on his offer to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment