Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Curveball of the week, knocked out of the park

My TKD journey has taken an interesting turn since my last post.  The master instructor of my school's Saltzman Road branch had to abruptly return to Korea due to a family emergency.  Grandmaster Kim has asked me to fill in at Saltzman (along with him) until a suitable replacement can be found. 
What this means to me right now is (a) more hours and money, both of which are very welcome, (b) my own training will be severely limited; GM Kim has graciously offered to help me find a solution for the weapons skills I still lack, (c) I have the opportunity to work closely with GM Kim (who is an amazing teacher) in a small-class setting and learn as much of his teaching methods as possible, and (d) I can show GM Kim what I am capable of.  In short, this is a huge opportunity.
Today was my first day at Saltzman since a six-month stint when the school first opened a couple years ago.  Saltzman is a small dojang with a student body of around 70.  The students are very enthusiastic and eager to learn; their former master must have made quite a positive impression on them.  Today's classes were very small (two to six students) but they had a great energy to them.  I think everyone enjoyed themselves, and I know everyone got some good solid practice today.  GM Kim seemed pleased with the day, and so was I.

1 comment: