Saturday, May 15, 2010

SOME THOUGHTS ON THE DAY, AND THE PEOPLE

Today was the big day: along with six great martial artists and friends, I tested for 4th-degree black belt. Master. The test went very well; all of us were as prepared as we could possibly be. If I say so myself, we all rose to the occasion. We all passed.



This was perhaps the least physically rigorous of my four black belt tests (although it was plenty rigorous; none of us are getting any younger). There were some recurring themes: joy, love, and family.

Joy, because there we were, a half-dozen peers and friends, grinding out one more balls-out class. Lots of whooping, cheering, and high-fives. The years and miles quickly melted away in such company.

Love, because each of us are teachers. I’ve come to believe that one can’t go very far beyond 1st-degree black belt without feeling compelled to pass the art and knowledge along. Teaching is love, and it’s a calling.

Family. In the audience for our test were many current and former students, peers, friends, and literal family members. Some of the attendees were people I haven’t seen in years! The fact that bunches of our young students and their parents would come and offer their support on a sunny spring morning means a great deal to me.



In alphabetical order, here are the other new masters and what they have meant to me over the years:

Ha-Yaun Chung: She joined our TKD family as a ten-year-old 2nd-dan from Korea, at a time when most of the students were around yellow belt. She was immediately put in the uncomfortable position of having to be a leader. She led, magnificently, by example. Ha-Yaun is the best forms performer I’ve ever seen.

Andrea Heikkala: She has had a smile on her face every time I’ve seen her. Andrea’s good cheer is infectious; she’s pulled me out of a funk more than once just by being herself. She has persevered through probably more injuries than the rest of us, and again, with no complaints.

Robert Hummel: He was another experienced martial artist at our new school, so like Ha-Yaun he was put in a position of leadership right from the beginning. In spite of his black belts in two different styles, he has happily tested along with the rest of us for all these years. Robert is cool. If he gets rattled by anything, I’ve never seen it in thirteen years. He really “gets it” when it comes to martial arts.

Cathi Leitzke: She is truly larger than life. If anyone works harder at TKD than Cathi, I’ve never met them. Cathi has been put in the often-uncomfortable position of mediator between the other advanced students and the head masters, and she handles it well. Cathi is truly the “go-to guy” if any student needs to know any bit of the curriculum.

Jason Leitzke: Cathi’s son is also larger than life. I’ve known him since he was 8, and every time I see him he lays a bone-crusher handshake on me. I’ve never met anyone more dedicated to becoming a better person. What he doesn’t seem to realize is that he already is a fantastic person. His infectious smile, his non-stop energy, his sheer enthusiasm, and his inhuman athleticism are a continuing source of joy.

James O’Rourke: James is the youngest of this group. He seems to have grown up before my eyes. A boy went off to college in Arizona, and a man came back! He’s a little on the quiet side, but he’s really blossomed as a martial artist and a teacher. It’s wonderful to see someone come alive like that. James and his dad were part of one of my life’s major adventures: the 2005 trip to Korea and China.



I hope this isn’t redundant, but once again I must give my most heartfelt thanks to Master Cathi Leitzke and Master Andrea Heikkala for their coaching, patience, and good humor. Without them I would not have been able to pass this test, no exaggeration.

1 comment: